[ale] Over 2x More Asus Linux Netbooks Now Being Bought Than XP on Amazon

Daniel Howard dhhoward at comcast.net
Sat Apr 11 09:53:00 EDT 2009

I saw this while looking for an accessory for my daughter's Asus Linux
netbook:

What Do Customers Ultimately Buy After Viewing This Item?

54% buy: ASUS Eee PC 901 8.9-Inch Netbook (1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270
Processor, 1 GB RAM, 20 GB Solid State Drive, 20 GB Eee Storage, Linux,
6 Cell Battery) Pearl White

22% buy: (memory module)

14% buy: ASUS Eee PC 901 8.9-Inch Netbook (1.6 GHz Intel Atom N270
Processor, 1 GB RAM, 12 GB Solid State Drive, 20 GB Eee Storage, XP
Home, 6 Cell Battery) Fine Ebony

5% buy: ASUS Eee PC 1000HE 10-Inch Netbook (1.66 GHz Intel Atom N280
Processor, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, 10 GB Eee Storage, Bluetooth, XP
Home, 9.5 Hour Battery Life) Black

Which means customers are buying the Linux netbook by over 2:1 over XP
versions.  I know there was a stat a while back that folks were
returning the Linux netbooks more than 7 times as often as XP (they
probably didn't know they were getting Linux), but what if only 10% or
so of all purchases are returned?  That still means we're making
incredible headway folks thanks to netbooks.

Best, Daniel