[ale] Slides from my IPv6 talk.

Chris Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Fri Apr 10 09:19:33 EDT 2009

Interesting read...thanks for posting this.

One phrase that I'll take the opportunity to comment on:

"IPv4 allocations were a paradigm of scarcity
   –Use of dense allocations to optimize utilization
  IPv6 allocations are a paradigm of abundance
   –Use of sparse allocations to optimize versatility
"

I'd add some color here to note that there was a time that the IPv6
paradigm *was* the paradigm for IPv4 - remember "classful" networking?

My point being, IMO while the v6 address space is impossibly, hugely,
stupendously large, large enough that no one could ever conceive of a
time where that address space might ever become scarce, there was a
time Way Back In The Day where exactly the same things were said about
IPv4.

Back to the specifics of classful networking, there was a time where
if you had 1 to 254 hosts, you got a /24 (254 addresses), and if you
had more than 254 hosts, you got a /16 allocation (~65,000 addresses).
And if you had more than that, you got a /8 - 1.6 million addresses.
This is why companies like Xerox, GE, and Interop (yes, the trade show
company) now have /8 allocations that they'll never come close to
utilizing, but will never give up - which is part of the reason IPv4
space is scarce today.

I know this is turning into something of a rant, but the point I'm
trying to make is that at some point, some attention must be paid to
efficient allocations even in the 128-bit-wide IPv6 space. If not, we
risk being in exactly the same situation as we are today with v4 - it
will take longer, but it will happen.

-C