[ale] changing username

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Thu Apr 9 10:41:25 EDT 2009

At command line you can use the usermod to change a user's ID:

The -d changes name of home directory (because usually the end of name
is the same as userid).   The -m says to move the stuff from existing
home to the new home.  The -l specifies the new user ID and the old user
ID tells it which user ID you're changing.

Type "man usermod" for more details and other options.