[ale] LDAP Server

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 16:15:36 EDT 2009

Open LDAP doesn't per-se, but with NIC bonding and Linux-HA, you can build a
very strong highly-available situation for your environment.

We have two boxes that are replication slaves with bonded nics and then
linux-HA serving a failover service address for the two.  If one goes, the
other picks up... We counted about 4 or 5 second lag for pickup.  Couple
that with nscd caching on your end hosts, and that small burp wouldn't be
seen.

We have a master LDAP server living on a different subnet in a different
data center that replicates to the above pair of hosts.  It is where we do
all our administration, and it gets synced to the replication slaves rather
quickly.

All that is free/open, and I sort of prefer it over the evaluations we did
of RH DS.

http://www.openldap.org
http://linux-ha.org

If you need any configs/setup info, just ask.  I'll share it here so
everyone can benefit.

--jms

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> OpenLDAP has no automatic failover. All the others do. RedHat and
> CentOS are identical except in name. Fedora is a tad more advanced.
> They all support multi-master mode so any one can be live and any
> other can fail with auto resync when it comes back online.
>
> Recommend: CentOS 5.3 with it's LDAP.
>

> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 11:17 AM, Brandon Colbert
> <colbert.brandon at gmail.com> wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I been tasked to setup a fail-over ldap solution at work. We have one
> > running openldap. I wanted to get everyone opinion on the difference
> between
> > OpenLDAP, CentOS-DS, Fedora-DS, and Redhat-DS.
> >
> > If you had your choice, which one will you use?
> >

> > FYI: In the near future we will tie samba and radius with ldap.

> James P. Kinney III

Jerald M. Sheets jr.