[ale] linux email solution that supports exchange calendar access

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 12:25:26 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Richard Bronosky <Richard at bronosky.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
>> Jeff Lightner wrote:
>>> Don't have an answer for that but have they tried to see if there isn't
>>> already a Webmail server setup on the Exchange side?  If so they could
>>> access email via browser.  They don't have to say they want to do this
>>> because of Linux - just something like they'd like to be able to access
>>> email when out of office.  Typically an Exchange webmail would use the
>>> same Windoze user/domain/password as they use in the office.
>>
>> Yeah, but the browser email client sucks.
>
> Funny that you say that. It was the the Exchange webmail that spawned
> AJAX, and (vicariously) GMail.

Compared to Squirrelmail, Microsoft has released a really crippled
webmail interface that almost _forces_ the user to go back to outlook
desktop client. It is so slow, clunky, and lacking in usability
everyone I've walked through the use of just hates it. I had a few
people that had fetchmail setup to pull out their exchange email and
make it available in Squirrelmail because the interface worked so much
better.

James P. Kinney III