[ale] [OT] DTV reception

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Apr 2 09:44:05 EDT 2009

On 04/02/2009 09:25:13 AM, David Ritchie wrote:
> I think that the correct answer is "It depends". The
> variables that
> come into play
> include:
>
>    Distance to transmitter.

Supposedly all within 25 miles.

>    Amount of interferring objects (such as hills,
> mountains, or tall buildings)
>    between you and the transmitter and the resulting
> amount of path loss.

Lots of trees, otherwise two story suburban neighborhood.
Supposedly this is one of the higher points in the county.

>    Type of receiving antenna, and whether it has a
> pre-amplifier installed.
>
>    For Yagi type antennas, the alignment between the
> antenna as installed and
>    and the transmitter. Also, number of elements in the
> antenna has some impact
>    on gain.
>
>    Quality and quantity of cables used.
>
>    Your location (if you are on the far side of a mountain
> between you and a
>     transmitter, you almost certainly will have problems.

I got that part ok. No mountains here! Nearest tall ( 3 +
stories) I can think of is perhaps 2 miles, which shouldn't
be an issue.

> Generally speaking, "high and outside" is the preferred
> method. The only

That has been my impression. Guess I'll need to dig up
somebody to put the silly thing up. I don't handle ladders
at all well to begin with.

> real way to know is to try it and see. You might want to
> check with your
> neighbors that have external antennas and see what level
> of results they
> are getting.

Nice middle class neighborhood. This whole area is happily
on cable. 8-(. Somehow Dirty Jobs and Mythbusters combined
don't justify getting hooked up for me.

> Are you eliminating an outdoor antenna due
> covenents in your
> neighborhood? You might also try experimenting with one of
> the preamplified
> patch antennas attached to the side of your house.

Nope. Just that the bunny ears I have used for the past 20
odd years here aren't quite cutting the mustard. Not that I
watch that much over the air anyway, but newscasters with a
frozen picture while they continue to yap is funny the
first time. Then just tiresome and old.

Thanks for your comments.