[ale] [OT] DTV reception

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Thu Apr 2 09:01:40 EDT 2009

The thread on Comcast reminded me that I wanted to ask you bright,
electronic oriented people something. Should individuals be less than
interested, I hope that they will forgive my use of bandwidth.

With the shift to DTV finally fully underway (should be over), I getting
irritated with the quality of DTV reception here at the house when using
rabbit ears. As such, I guess I have two options: pay for wired TV/cable
which will play havoc with my income, or obtain and install an outside
antenna. One time expense vs ongoing expense - hmmmm...

Ok. For the real question. I'm pretty sure that I can put an antenna in
the attic myself without major complications, but it it likely that the
improvement in signal/noise would be good enough, or should I just bite
the bullet and have someone put an antenna on the chimney as the best
possible solution?

Also, for some reason, I have the impression that DTV signals over the air
and through an antenna have a limited propagation through the antenna
cable, so to split the signal I need to arrainge for some amplification.
If so, how does that impact the chminey antenna idea?

Thanks to the whole list for the use and abuse of their bandwidth.