[ale] Problems with DSL

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Mon Sep 29 07:39:09 EDT 2008

I attempted in install Puppy on an old Dell Latitude but all it did was
boot part way and then turn the bloody laptop off.  That was after I had
to remove the integrated modem/ethernet pcmcia card because it hung
attempting to detect the analog modem.

I then tried to install Damned Small Linux.  It seems to install just
fine, but I can't seem to get the X settings right.  I tried all sorts
of things, colors, size, etc.  But all I get is an unreadable X screen.
The following image is 8 colors 600x800 which I would think would work
fine, but it doesn't:

http://wind-angel.com/images/s6300432.jpg

The other color/size setting result in a similar display, different size
and color but unreadable just the same.

I also tried to install Ubuntu Hardy but it started the install but
never finished.  It sat there for hours tickling the hard disk
periodically with nothing on the display except the blinking cursor.
Since it only has 128 Mb I figured Hardy wouldn't run very well anyway.
I think it's a 233 Mhz processor.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Jim.