[ale] fdisk sees partitions but no /dev/sda#

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Sep 25 18:49:04 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 17:53 -0400, Sid Lane wrote:
> hey,

> I backed up some files for a friend by installing an extra hard drive
> and tarring up a filesystem w/a rescue cd.  I'm now trying to reverse
> the process but the rescue system doesn't have block devices for the
> partitions.  it has /dev/sda and fdisk -l /dev/sda shows the
> partitions but w/o /dev/sda2 I can't get it to mount.

	Are you saying partition 2 exists in the table but it's not showing up
in /dev or are you saying that you see partitions but there is no
partition 2?

	What flavor rescue CD are you using?

	Did you just recently create those partitions or were they there before
booting the rescue CD?  If you just recently partitioned the drive, have
you rebooted since partitioning (assuming a lame rescue disk here,
obviously)?

	Run the following commands and post the results:

	uname -a
	sfdisk -d /dev/sda
	sfdisk -R   # Force the kernel to reread the partition table
	cat /proc/partitions
	ls -l /dev/sd*

	If you are running udev, it should create devices as required, but that
depends on the distro / flavor of rescue disk.  My current preference is
for the NST (Network Security Toolkit) CD which is currently based off
of Fedora 8.

> I know this is probably something simple but as most of you know I'm
> more of a DBA than sysadmin per se - I can ask my coworkers in the
> morn but I'd rather get it done tonight (they've already been pretty
> patient).
>
> can anyone tell me how to fix this?
>
> thx!

	Mike