[ale] fdisk sees partitions but no /dev/sda#

Sid Lane jakes.dad at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 17:53:54 EDT 2008

hey,

I backed up some files for a friend by installing an extra hard drive and
tarring up a filesystem w/a rescue cd.  I'm now trying to reverse the
process but the rescue system doesn't have block devices for the
partitions.  it has /dev/sda and fdisk -l /dev/sda shows the partitions but
w/o /dev/sda2 I can't get it to mount.

I know this is probably something simple but as most of you know I'm more of
a DBA than sysadmin per se - I can ask my coworkers in the morn but I'd
rather get it done tonight (they've already been pretty patient).

can anyone tell me how to fix this?

thx!