[ale] etherape + comcast + NAT'ed host

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Mon Sep 15 17:15:42 EDT 2008

> There is nothing else behind the nat other than my laptop.  The NAT'ed
> wifi is WPA2 and restricted to my MAC only.  There is zero traffice
> in/out of my box*until* I run etherape.   Quite strange indeed.

Got another trusted box to sniff with? It could be etherape or something
else that it uses (libpcap) is creating the traffic..

At the idiot level: If you are sniffing wireless.. in promiscous mode,
you could be sniffing someone else's traffic that, while it's not actually
part of your WiFi network could be on the same frequencies.

I'd plug in with cable and see what I saw on each interface,
ie: ethernet vs wifi..