[ale] Backup strategies

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Sep 12 16:56:58 EDT 2008

Pat Regan wrote:
> Chris Fowler wrote:
>
>>> If you're a smaller IT shop that might be a pretty big expense.
>>> Especially if you have to do work to move tapes off-site every day.
>>>

>> This is something I live with and it hits a nerve.   I've dealt with
>> people "too cheap" to purchase a full replicated clone of their server
>> for use when their's
>> die.   During training I inform them that if their server dies then it
>> can be 2-3 business days for use to replace their hardware, IF we have
>> it in stock.  We don't stock much.  Normally I don't care but in this
>> case, they are selling their customers a service.
>>

> The thing to remember is who it is that is actually too cheap.  It
> likely isn't the people within the IT department :).
That is why you meet with the DM and figure out a budget.  You then know
exactly how much to spend and what your options are.  Many times I've
been the one too cheap because I thought they were too cheap and never
discussed the topic of "how much do we want to spend?".   I came to the
assumption that $500 was too much for X and I should spend $250.

If you not discussed money then this might be a wrong time looking for
solutions?  Define "how cheap" then start googling.

--
Chris Fowler
OutPost Sentinel, LLC
Support @ SIP/support at pbx.opsdc.com