[ale] Backup strategies

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 15:34:36 EDT 2008

I have (and love) my Exabyte VXA StorageLoader
http://www.tandbergdata.com/us/en/products/search-result/?action=2&ref=170and
run bacula to manage the process. It can backup over the net using an
encrypted channel or the client can encrypt the data itself. My rig has been
running nearly flawlessly and unattended for 4+ years. It emails me every
night with the results of the backup run. I don't have to swap tapes as it's
all robotic. Occasionally I have to tell the process to "yes. mount the tape
and recycle it" but that is an issue with 2 of the 5 tapes I use (and
reuse). I backup about 450GB fully every week and incrementals daily. I have
done recoveries from this system and it works flawlessly. I can do a bare
metal recovery of the back up manager machine and database using a single CD
and one tape. I also have a single, external tape drive of the same type
that can be used manually if the robotics fails (which would really suck!).

Love it! wonderful tools. Can't recommend them enough.

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Preston Boyington
<preston.lists at gmail.com>wrote:

> Pat Regan wrote:
> >
> > Who is going to swap the tapes during the backup?  Won't that make it
> > very uneconomical?
> >

> no.  buy a unit that uses multiple tapes.  i think you are looking at a
> single tape unit which is not what you would want.

James P. Kinney III