[ale] IDE_SCSI error

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Wed Sep 10 19:53:18 EDT 2008

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I'm not a hardware expert, and I just found out I need to go
> troubleshoot tomorrow on a system ( RHEL) that is giving IDE_SCSI
> errors.. something like:
> IDE_SCSI error: expect 24 got 40

I would be very surprised to see the ide-scsi driver being used for a
hard drive.  I wouldn't have even thought it possible.

Although it hasn't been needed for a very long time, the ide-scsi driver
used to be required for CD/DVD burning.  Older distributions used to
default to the ide-scsi driver for all cdrom drives.  RHEL is very
conservative, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if still does the same thing.

Pat