[ale] Motherboard recomendations

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Sep 9 18:50:14 EDT 2008

> James Earl Smith wrote:
> My Ubuntu desktop died on my birthday so now I need a new motherboard. I
> am thinking of using a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H. What other motherboards
> may work with Ubuntu?
> I have the AMD 2 64 bit cpu w/ ddr2 800 memory.

The 780G boards are great; their only problem is that they don't all
support AMD's new 125-watt and 140-watt CPUs. For future upgradability,
it's hard to do better than a 790GX based board like the Biostar Tforce
TA790GX [0]. They support AMD's current top of the line quad-core AM2+
CPUs and will be compatible with the AM3 CPUs when they come out in a
few months.

[0] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138128

-Brian