[ale] OT: Symantec subscription'Nag' screen

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Tue Sep 9 14:34:23 EDT 2008

Aaron, All -

Amen to those, and thanks for the comments!

I have a reason for using Vista, and after 43+ years I prefer to remain
married to her.

I _am_ going to drop a second HDD into the box and put some flavor of
Linux on that. We'll see about a weaning period then.

For starters my S.O. is now happy with Thunderbird as her only mail reader
and Firefox as her primary web tool. Happier, in fact.

I do have a very satisfied Ubuntu user in the non-power-user[!] friend to
whom I loaned a creaky old Dell so she could do some of her work from
home. It's bog-slow, but she still loves it. Maybe there's hope.

Norton is the last 'Buy Me!' nag that comes up by itself, and I don't give
it much more life expectancy. Another example that vanished _before_ I
turned the machine over to its owner was the "XX Day Trial" of Micro$oft
Office. Basically it's just another kind of in-your-face phishing.

  - JMM