[ale] bandwidth competition (changing the subject)

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon Sep 8 19:26:17 EDT 2008

 09/08/2008 09:17:47 AM, Sean wrote:
> Within the past month or so AT&T has installed a large fiber cabinet
> at the condo's front entrance right next to the existing POTS
> cabinet.
> Has anyone heard when (if ever) MaBell actually plans to start
> offering
> television service.  The condo would _love_ to ditch Comcast.

Just a bit of a wishful whine here. I personally would _love_ to see a
service which just provided the fiber to the house/home/condo/whatever.
Nothing more, just a big fat pipe, preferably with a power source right
down beside it independent of the power company which could run a POTS
style interface, or other low power data task. In this way, I would
hope to limit interference in the market to the biggest single
bottleneck in revamping electronic communication and media while
opening up the ability of the players to compete on service and
support.

Into this fiber the customer would choose competitive offerings for
push media (cable TV), asymmetric media (on demand cable TV), internet
connectivity where the data asymmetry isn't necessarily known ahead of
time, phone/video phone, alarm monitoring with appropriate
bandwidth limits within each provider's contract. Total bandwidth
promises sold not to exceed 80-90% of the minimum available bandwidth
between the service head and the customer equipment.

Regulation of this fiber pipe should be in terms of reliability of
service, total bandwidth, and access to all providers of electronic
communications services/media.

I'm sure that the engineers in this group can clean up the
specification here considerably, and the libertarians can clean up some
big brother issues.

I think it would work pretty well, but the current dominant players
might get clawed up in the transition process. And hence I doubt that
they would support it.

YMMV