[ale] Comcast Caps Data at 250G/Month

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 12:20:00 EDT 2008

Standard definition movies are about 700MB, but high definition movies
are at least 4.7GB. Sometimes they are 8.3GB. And you don't have to
pirate movies to be downloading movies of that size. Take a look at
the Xbox 360 marketplace sometime. They offer SD and HD movies, and
the HD movies are at least 4GB. As we move forward, and services such
as this become commonplace, 250GB is going to become real small real
fast.

Digital stores are going to make this 250GB limit laughable. People
are already downloading massive amounts of legitimate music, a great
deal of legitimate games (XBLM, PSN, Direct2Drive, Steam, etc.), and
internet video (YouTube). It's only going to get better as time goes
on (I can't say "worse" because I love it). So while Comcast may be
doing something to better their network _right now_, they are setting
themselves up for failure in the future. I seriously hope no one is
going to put up with their ISP trying to dip their hands into third
party transactions.

Comcast is already costing themselves customers with this. Soon
(hopefully) I will be moving closer to Atlanta; at least close enough
that cable would be an option. I was thinking I would consider Comcast
since they offer 16Mb/s. But now, I will be trying to get naked DSL.
And I would prefer to get it from Atlantic Nexus.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/

CH:D 59