[ale] OT: Google releases new OS browser - CHROME

Jim Philips philips_jim at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 4 19:23:11 EDT 2008

On Thursday 04 September 2008 02:03:18 Robert Reese~ wrote:
> Hey, I've been absent awhile (MAJOR family emergency... now run its course)
>  but I haven't forgotten y'all.
>
> Google released a new open source browser called CHROME.  Look here:
> http://www.google.com/chrome
>
> As an aside, apparently there's even an Easter Egg!  Only works on Windows,
> sorry, but it is definitely worth it! (hint:  'about:internets'  and that's
> all I'm saying.)

I downloaded it on my Windows laptop at work and on the Windows partition of
this box. I'm still trying to figure everything out about it, but I like it. It
is, without doubt, a resource hog. When I started the task manager with it
running, I was amazed at how many instances of the program there were and how
much memory they consumed. But it's silly to oppose higher resource demands
without thinking about what you get from your resources. Is there bang for the
buck? Yes! With Chrome, I'll be able to see where the resources are going and
drop the offender without killing my whole browser. Firefox makes it damned
hard to do that. At any rate, I think this is the first big advance in Web
browsing to come along in several years.

And for those of you trying to save the planet by using less RAM: Lynx is
waiting for you.