[ale] Revealed: The Internet's Biggest Security Hole

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Thu Sep 4 12:45:29 EDT 2008

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008, Greg Freemyer wrote:

> Everyone has said for years that the Internet is public and that
> anyone can read the data that traverses across it.
>
> If you want security, use encryption.
>
> Thus, this security hole seems way over blown to me.

Heck, it was an asset when I got involved with a couple of hosting
companies out of Pensacola, and later New Orleans, move their data
centers.

My F150 and a U-Haul full of 1u servers haul ass to the ISP's new HQ in
Chattanooga, Shane got BGP announcements out for their block
and got a couple of the Tier 1's he was connected to to accept his BGP
announcements of those IP ranges and "poof" by the time the servers were
online, the 'net had reconfigured to see those IP addresses far away from
where they were just a few hours before.

Just like the internet is supposed to work.

As for encryption. Amen brother, preach it to the choir.. preach it..