[ale] Dual boot XP?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Oct 31 18:06:59 EDT 2008

On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 17:46:29 -0400
Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:

> I doubt XP liked being moved to a different # partition. You probably
> need to modify it's boot.ini file. It lives at the root of C: and has
> a format like
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /fastdetect

Heh, it gets worse if you have Vista.  The boot configuration data is
stored in a file named DRIVE:\Boot\BCD, and is a binary registry hive
that must be edited with some tool called BCDEdit.exe.

At least Vista's install DVD lets you boot and start a command prompt
to recover from such things, but it's a lot more complex than a simple
text file...

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.