[ale] [OT] Monster PC < $500

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Tue Oct 28 13:59:15 EDT 2008

Shane McKinley wrote:
> Do you really want to run production virtualization on a custom built
> PC?

This is for development and test, not production. And learning --
it's been a long while since I built a PC (last one was a
700Mhz Celeron, I think), and I want to get some experience with
virtualization. But assuming I can make it work, it will allow
me to eliminate or repurpose several other dedicated boxen on
my home LAN.

> I have always had good luck with Gigabyte boards.
>
> Everyone knows that AMDs are reliable (for the most part).
>
> Never tried OCZ memory, but the faster the memory seems like the more
> probable you will have a compatibility issue, unless specifically stated
> by motherboard manufacturer that they support the specific memory.

That MB supports 1066 memory.  Memory confuses me; can I use
slower RAM on a MB whose specs state that 1066 is supported?
(Though all other things being equal, faster is better.)

> I bought this case like 4 times and I love it:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068
>
> Here is a 580W for $20:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817709011

Ah hah.  Thanks for the pointer.

> Can't go wrong with the hard drive.
>
> Overall, I would worry about being able to load ESX on this machine.

Why exactly?

> (Does Xen even do Windows yet?)
>
> Where is your DVD-ROM?

Knew I was forgetting something... Thanks.

-- JK