[ale] Firefox Keeps Freezing After Flash Upgrade - OT

Pete Hardie pete.hardie at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 18:58:25 EDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 18:07, Jeff Lightner <jlightner at water.com> wrote:
> Personally I don't understand folks that don't like top posting.  When
> I'm reading emails in a thread I'm usually keeping up with them so would
> prefer to read the "top post" in latest email than read through all the
> stuff I'd already seen to get to it.   We can disagree on that and its
> clear different people on the list do.

FWIW, I think that bottom posting is better for public conversations,
because it allows a newcomer to follow the topic as it unfolded,
without having to backtrack.

This may be a shibboleth for telling Usenet oldtimers from post-AOL
Internet users.....

For private conversations (email), I much prefer the topic be trimmed
as needed - I'll have the older messages if I need them.

> Top sigging, as you call it, is a completely different thing.  When I
> saw (and didn't comment) the first time he did it the post looked like
> its only intent was to proselytize but when I looked at the bottom I saw
> that there was an actual response.
>
> However, when he did it again it made it clear to me that the purpose in
> "top sigging" was indeed to make it prominent and thereby proselytize
> and I responded to that.
>
> How would he (or you) feel if every post I made had a "top sig" of
> "Allah Akbar" or "Satan is my Master"?  Or how would the conservatives
> on the list feel if every post had a "top sig" of "W destroyed America"?

Pete Hardie
--------
Better Living Through Bitmaps