[ale] Firefox Keeps Freezing After Flash Upgrade

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Fri Oct 24 13:53:19 EDT 2008

Do we really need this proselytizing at the beginning of posts?

________________________________

"..Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to
come.." -Rev1:4

---

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 10:16 AM, Marc Ferguson <marcferguson at gmail.com>
wrote:

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Joey Rutledge <joey at joeyrutledge.com>
wrote:

	Marc Ferguson wrote, On 10/22/2008 06:12 AM:

	> Hi Fellas,
	>
	> I need a bit of help with figuring out why my Firefox keeps
crashing.
	> I did a "strace firefox" and the results are posted here:
	> http://rafb.net/p/G6lnpk54.html
	>
	> I originally wanted to figure out why Fedora's audio seemed to
be
	> single-threaded.  I can play one audio device at a time.  If I
had
	> Banshee playing, I could watch any YouTube videos (well I
could, but
	> there would be no sound).  So; I asked someone from the
#fedora IRC
	> and they told me to install "libflashsupport.i386" because
Flash 9
	> doesn't support pulseaudio too well.  So; I installed it and
it
	> worked.  Very soon after it played on Flash file, I tried to
play
	> another and my browser froze.  Since then I've copied and
pasted the
	> latest Flash 10.so into my firefox plugin's directory and the
same
	> thing happens?
	>
	> I saw in the output (on line 67, 368, 369, etc) that it's
referencing
	> my download folder for flash 10, why?
	>
	> ---
	> Marc F.
	>
	> "..Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who
is to
	> come.." -Rev1:4

	This seems really similar to an issue I had recently.  Depending
on what
	version of Firefox you are using there is a known bug for
version 3.0.1
	(maybe others?) and windowless mode SWF files.  For me my
browser would
	crash anytime I went to a site that had flash ads, such as
	wunderground.com or cnn.com.

	I am not necessarily saying that your issue is the same but it
might be
	worth an investigation.  Basically in /etc/adobe/mms.cfg (create
it if
	you don't have one) you set "WindowlessDisable = 1"

	Here is the page that talks about the bug:

http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2008/08/windowless_mode_fix.html

	Joey

Thanks Joey.  I'll give it a try when I get home today.

I didn't find that file on my system.  I then went to #fedora to ask and
they lead me to this site,
http://fedorasolved.org/browser-solutions/flash/?searchterm=flash.  As
of date I haven't fixed the problem yet and I'm even more confused now
than ever.  All of this crashing happened after I installed
"libflashsupport.i386".  Damn, I wish I didn't.  Is there a way to go
back to status quo?  I already removed libflashsupport - how about my
firefox config files?  Thanks.

So; just to give an update.  I removed "flash-player" through my package
manager (flash version 10) and then installed it again.  My firefox
still crashes, but it seems to crash only after I leave a site that
flash was playing on.  Before; it would crash after playing 1 flash
movie - now (for example: YouTube) I can watch multiple flash movies,
but if I go to another web site it'll crash.

Is there a way to reset this craziness.  I've already uninstalled
"libflashsupport", but that's where it all started going south!  Thanks
for any help.