[ale] Resume formatting (was: Anyone looking for a new gig?)

Robert Reese~ ale at sixit.com
Tue Oct 14 10:47:35 EDT 2008

Jeff Lightner wrote:

> I find it amusing that folks seem to treat recruiters as the enemy
> rather than a first step to get in the door.

Didn't start out that way.  But then again, the first time I encountered a homeless person I gave him a couple of bucks.  We humans learn quickly.

> Is it really that hard to say “sorry not interested” when asked
> about a job for which you have no interest or qualification?

Interesting, that is the exact same defense the telemarketers gave to the Do Not Call list bill when it was up for consideration.

How many times do I need to say it to the same person or company?  And do I have to say it when my resume shows nothing at all related to the inquiry?  What about when the blatantly ignore something on my resume in 18-point bold text?

> Expecting them to know as much about every job they represent as
> the potential candidates seems to require a divine status that few
> could achieve.

I don't expect them to know every minutiae of the job nor do I expect them to know it as well as the candidates they seek (nor do I recall ever saying I did, so I'm not sure where you interpreted that).  But I do expect them to know enough to gather QUALIFIED candidates.  That's their job and I expect them to know every facet and every minutiae of their job; if you're selling something I expect you to know every aspect of it and to be able to answer any question.  I expect them to do their job properly, and if they can't do that then they need to find another job outside of recruiting.

> The only recruiters that ever really annoyed me were the ones that
> were clearly mining me for information rather than sending leads my
> way.   Luckily they are few and far between.   You learn very
> quickly to not answer questions about who you’re interviewing with
> and only tell them if they happen to mention a job that sounds
> similar to one you’re already being presented for.

Or lie like treadworn rug.  And be long-winded about it.

Cheers,
R~