[ale] Question about cable modem connections

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 15:25:39 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 14:33 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:

> This has not been my experience.  I've just recently replaced a single
> pc connected to a Comcast modem with a wireless router.  All I had to do
> was power everything down, power the Comcast modem up, then power the
> router up.  The router provides dhcp to the rest of the computers in the
> house.  In this case, they had two desktop computers connected via
> ethernet to the router and one laptop that is connected wirelessly.
I'm not sure but I think it depends on the cable co's backend setup.
Some know the modem while others know the pc.

> Not to say all their hardware operates the same way.
>
> >  I would recommend providing a broadband router of some sort (wireless
> > optional) as the WAN side by default is looking for dhcp service.
>
> I was thinking that the original poster was asking if the router would
> get an ip from the cable modem and the router could do the dhcp, but
> maybe I missed something in the translation.

you are correct. I was thinking that by using a router to make the
initial cable connection (it is a NEW installation) it would simplify
the non-tech (i.e. wife) hassles with the cable co since she was going
with a Linux laptop. Router installs with no configuration required and
then pc and laptop can connect as needed.

Not looking for the cheapest route but looking for the most "automagic".