[ale] Question about cable modem connections

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Thu Oct 2 14:50:13 EDT 2008

Joshua Kite wrote:
> I'm not sure that really solves the problem that Jim brings up.  As I
> recall, cable modems traditionally grab the MAC address of the first PC
> which connects to it, and from then on ONLY that MAC address is accepted,
> which is why the router would need to clone the MAC address of that
> computer.  However, I also think that I've had no problems connecting other
> PC's directly to the modem, so Comcast may have changed their ways.

As previously noted, I just replaced a single PC connected to a Comcast
modem with a wireless router.  I did not set up the wireless router to
clone the mac address of the PC.  This all worked fine.  As I understand
it, the key is to turn the modem off (remove the battery if it's got
battery backup) and router off.  Then, power up the modem, wait for it
to sync, then power up the router.  This is the second time I've set up
such a network with a comcast modem in this way.

I know that I've seen at least three different types of hardware
provided by Comcast, thus the requirements may differ depending on the
hardware used.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin