[ale] Question about cable modem connections

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Wed Oct 1 22:21:59 EDT 2008

Jeff Lightner wrote:
> Often enough they won't talk to you at all if you do NOT have a Windoze
> PC or if you DO have anything (e.g. a router) between that cable modem
> and the PC.  Even if you do get them to try it with anything else the
> chances they'll stop and say "not supported' at the first issue is
> extremely high.

This is just untrue.  I believe I've activated Comcast cable modems on
at least two sites without needing a computer.  One was in Pennsylvania,
I believe the other was in NY or NJ.

You just call them up, tell them you want to activate the modem and give
them the mac off the modem and you're done.  They don't ask you to do
anything.

Pat