[ale] Question about cable modem connections

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 16:20:03 EDT 2008

OK. I reread (twice) the original post. wife will NOT have to config a
router. It is a NEW cable modem installation. As long as it is ONSITE
before the cable installer starts, they will (usually) connect it up as
the first device to be authorized by the installation process. The
Linksys routers default to a working out of the box mode for just this
purpose. Now the cable person can plug in the modem, plug in the router,
plug in his laptop into the router and verify connection. Then wife's
laptop will JustWork(tm) with no config on her part.