[ale] Question about cable modem connections

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Wed Oct 1 11:23:07 EDT 2008

Jim Lynch wrote:
> I had hoped this would be a simple installation.  Guess I'd better see
> if I can get IE to run under wine for her.  This old box can't run
> anything newer than Win98 and there's no way I'd open a Win98 system to
> the internet today.
>
> Another question.  If I go buy a cable modem can I test to see if it
> will respond to firefox without being connected to the cable?  Maybe
> that's a solution.

You aren't trying to connect to a web site on the modem, you are trying
to connect to one of the cable companies web servers to authenticate
your cable modem (most likely).

I haven't met a cable company that hasn't let me do that over the phone.
 You just need the MAC address off of the cable modem.

Pat