[ale] Question about cable modem connections

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Wed Oct 1 10:13:56 EDT 2008

I've done a couple of cable modem setups recently, and in both cases I used a router to tie into the modem (linksys in each case, but I was playing with a Buffalo router and it behaved similarly).
These routers have a default installation that is designed to work with DSL/Cablemodem setups, and they bypassed having to deal with a specific PC platform.  They interact with the ISP device and you just use the web interface into the router to provide the correct information.
As cheap as these routers are, I'd highly recommend them for standard home ISP setup, even if you don't need more than one computer hookup.  It takes a lot of variables out of the equation for me.  Plus you can set up wireless or wired just in case you ever need it.  Even one time is enough to make it worthwhile.
-jt

James Taylor
The East Cobb Group, Inc.
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

>>> Jim Lynch <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> 10/1/2008 05:59 AM >>>
I'm about to set out on a project that's bound to be hazardous to my
marriage and maybe my health.  I'm sending my wife to her mother's house
(who is 91) with a laptop running Xubuntu.  When she gets there, she'll
order internet service from the local cable provider.  While I have no
hope that the installer will even know what Linux is, I'm hoping it will
be plug and play.

My question is, do cable modems work like DSL modems in that they have a
DHCP server built in so all you have to do is plug a computer that works
with a DHCP enabled router?  Or do you have to do some manual configuration?

The reason I asked is that the little lady is a modern day Luddite  wrt
computers.  After about 5 years I think she's finally able to plug her
SD card from the camera into the reader and when the window pops up with
her pictures, she knows to open another window and find the right
directory to drag and drop the pictures into.  I don't think she's
mastered creating a new directory without help yet however.  She's never
caught on to what directory trees are all about yet.

When she was teaching school, she always found a bright student that
understood computers to help her.  At home, I'm her bright student.  :(

Thanks for any pointers,
Jim.