[ale] DJGPP questions

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Sun Nov 30 12:28:53 EST 2008

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> > I think the solution is not to use djgpp.  I'm trying cygwin now...
> Maybe, maybe not.  If you're looking to make 32-bit PM DOS binaries,
> Cygwin probably isn't going to be of much assistance unless you can
> build a win32-x-dpmi version of GCC.

Simpler than that.  I was just looking for something that can provide me
with ls, less, gzip, etc. in Windows; I'm not planning to develop
applications at all.  Anyway, I switched to cygwin, which lacks a couple of
quirks djgpp has.  (For instance, djgpp only accepts screens of a size valid
in DOS, so each time you run bash in a command prompt window it resizes it to
one of those sizes.)

Also, I did find my shell prompt problem: I created my bashrc using DOS
linefeeds and I ended up with a prompt containing an embedded linefeed.

The ls problem was solved by writing a batch file which calls ls --color.
It's ugly but it works.