[ale] DJGPP questions

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sat Nov 29 19:44:35 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 01:52:13PM -0800, Ken Arromdee wrote:

> 1) Using bash in djgpp, when I look at the command history (^P, or esc-K with
> set -o vi), the history is printed in a garbled fashion; for instance, if my
> previous commands were pwd and ls, it might show "pwdls" instead of clearing
> the line.  Putting ansi.sys in config.nt doesn't help.
>
> 2) How do I specify that ls should use colors, *without* running bash, and
> without typing --color each time?  (Short of making "ls" a batch file which
> calls the djgpp ls with the --color option).  I'd think there should be
> something I can put in djgpp.env but I can't find anything.
>
> Versions are:
>
> 	H:\djgpp>bash --version
> 	GNU bash, version 2.04.7(1)-release (i386-pc-msdosdjgpp)
> 	Copyright 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> 	H:\djgpp>ls --version
> 	ls (fileutils) 4.1
> 	Written by Richard Stallman and David MacKenzie.

Hrm.  I would try to update both of them, for starters.  Current
coreutils is 6.12; I don't think that 4.1 is even up on their site
anymore.  Current bash is 3.2.  At least try updating bash, that might
fix your problems with the shell prompt getting cluttered.  I'd update
coreutils for the plethora of bugs fixed in the past several years.

As for ls, try defining the environment variable LS_COLORS in Windows.
You can "echo $LS_COLORS" on a setup that you like and just copy the
contents of that variable.  The only other thing that you'll need is to
somehow set an alias for ls (or, write a batch file to invoke it the way
you want when you're in cmd.exe).  I don't think that GNU ls does
something like LS_OPTIONS; when I tried to use that on my system it
didn't work.

   --- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.