[ale] [OT] Help with burning recovery disks from HP

Stephen Cristol stephen at bee.net
Wed Nov 26 15:50:56 EST 2008

On Nov 26, 2008, at 1:20 AM, Robert Reese~ wrote:
>> Yes, we got to recovery mode, but it failed. That seems like it
>> should be an ominous sign, but I don't know enough about Windows to
>> know. The partition looks intact, so I was hoping to recover the
>> recovery disks.
>
> One of the things an HP/Compaq first prompts the new owner to do is
> to create
> recovery disks using CDs, DVDs, or a single dual-layer DVD.  She
> may have done
> that.

She did not. :(

> My recommendation is to go purchase another harddrive on which to
> recover and
> install windows.  You might even be able to image the new harddrive
> from the old
> and use the recovery process on the new harddrive successfully.
> Even if the
> recovery process fails and she ends up needing to order a rush
> delivery set of
> recovery disks, if the system is restored/recovered on the new
> harddrive then
> getting her data will likely be very easy.
>
> Harddrives are ridiculously cheap these days.  Surely spending less
> then a Benny
> is worthwhile to save data!

I already have a 400 GB drive that is tasked to this recovery
project. I'm just so Windows illiterate, I don't know what all my
options are.

She truly does not care about the data on this machine. She's only
been using it a few months and has only used it for webmail and
browsing. The interim solution has been to use an Ubuntu live CD to
continue these activities. Although this has been working adequately,
she is not quite ready to take the linux plunge.

>>> Also, what model HP?
>>>
>> Sorry, that's not available to me at the moment.
>
> Get that model number from her and I'll see if there's something I
> might be able
> to do to assist you both.

I appreciate the effort. I'll get the model number as soon as I can.

> And for her future, I recommend Acronis True Image Echo Workstation
> with
> Universal Restore and a decent backup harddrive (Staples is selling
> a 2.5" 400GB
> external drive for $99 on Friday)

Thanks, I'll take a look at the Acronis product.