[ale] [OT] Help with burning recovery disks from HP

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Nov 26 13:55:17 EST 2008

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008 12:10:23 -0500
Robert Reese~ <ale at sixit.com> wrote:

> > Maybe on some systems.  I know that the s7700n that I have did not
> > permit that; the restored version of Windows didn't even have those
> > utilities installed (that is to say, that the restore partition
> > does _not_ give you a setup that is 100% the way it comes from the
> > factory).
>
> If it did it once, it can be made to do it again.

If it did it once, it was because the software to do it was
installed.  :-)  If it ain't there anymore, well, technically, yes it
*can* be done, but I don't know how to do it.  It's not like recovery
partitions contain a filesystem that can be burned to disc without
hefty alteration...

> >> The recovery stuff is system dependent, which is why we need the
> >> model number. But alas there is no ISO  image to burn.
> >>

> > One would think that if they wanted people to use the restore
> > media, they'd still be providing optical media to restore from.  It
> > is clear that they didn't consider what happens if the hard drive
> > shoots itself in the foot and the user doesn't want to---or doesn't
> > have the time to---send the machine back to the vendor.
>
> Nope.  Economics showed otherwise... people are desperate to get the
> recovery disks so they'll pay the $12.95 for the disks and the $xx.xx
> for the overnight rush processing and delivery.  Further, they save
> money by not hiring another company to make the recovery disks and by
> not paying people to put the disks in the right box.

Yeah.  Another reason I do not like much of the "business world".

	--- Mike