[ale] OT: Synchronizing cell phones with GNOKII

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Thu Nov 20 11:00:20 EST 2008

ALErs -

I have a pair of low-end Nokia 6030 phones on two T-Mobile 'prepaid'
accounts, and I would like to synchronize their stored phonebooks.

I exported the two phonebooks with GNOKII as files of records of the form:

<name with spaces>;<phone_number>;<memory_type>;<seq_number>;5<NL>

I would like to sort the lists by phone number in order to cull and
combine them, probably re-sort by name, then adjust the sequence numbers.

I can see how to import these records into a spreadsheet in order to sort
them by any particular column, but the I don't know how to export them
back with ';' as the field separator.

Perl probably has built-ins for this. Where should I look for examples?

Any other simple suggestions for managing these files (awk/sed/emacs
tricks? This ought to be near-trivial for the text-geeks out there.

TIA.

  - Mills