[ale] [OT] Store closings - NOT MicroCenter!!

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Thu Nov 20 08:02:19 EST 2008

Robert Reese~ wrote:

> Yeah, I just found out my $50 Sharper Image card I got a couple of
> years ago is worthless - not because they surcharged me but because
> they filed bankruptcy back in February.  Turns out they sold gift
> cards up to the day prior to filing bankruptcy.  I'm thinking
> criminal charges should be applied for wire fraud.

I'm surprised it has any value after holding it a 'couple of years.'

> I guess I need to petition the court to get anything on my card at
> all.

I suspect you'll be way down the list. ;)

> And you'd think AMEX gift cards were fine, but NOT.  They have some
> very serious and troubling issues with them, and the customer service
> people were probably hired from AOL.
>
> FYI: Simon Malls are the WORST cards.  Tell your friends and family
> to not fall for that "mall gift card".
> https://www.simon.com/giftcard/terms_and_conditions.aspx?giftaccount=1
>
> <https://www.simon.com/giftcard/terms_and_conditions.aspx?giftaccount=1>

Yeah, Simon is to malls, what Microsoft is to computers.

> P.S.: I agree that it would be nice to have a Microcenter open
> earlier and later.  But alas, we have only a Bust Buy in Warner
> Robins, as well as a couple of well-known office superstores.  (Hey,
> at least I got BB to honor its own website price last week on that
> 1TB drive.  I'd never had gone to BB, but it was an emergency.)

Ouch, you should research Best Buys troubling practices.  Bait and
switch and what not.  I refuse to enter Best Buys.  Especially since I
was asked to leave one after offering advice contrary to a salesperson. :)

--
Until later, Geoffrey

  - Benjamin Franklin