[ale] [OT] Store closings - NOT MicroCenter!!

Robert Reese~ ale at sixit.com
Wed Nov 19 19:00:54 EST 2008

> On Wed, 19 Nov 2008, Jim Kinney wrote:
>> Good call Chris. There are several "not news worthy closings" in
>> the list I sent. I should clarify: Be wary of the gift cards as
>> they become worthless.
>>

> Even ones for stores that are still in business can acrue a
> "holding charge" (or other name) that over many months, devalues
> them. I got a couple as wedding presents, and when we finally went
> to use them.. one was worth a little less than face value, and a
> $50 was worth $12. It lost a $1 per month after 6 months..

Yeah, I just found out my $50 Sharper Image card I got a couple of years ago is
worthless - not because they surcharged me but because they filed bankruptcy
back in February.  Turns out they sold gift cards up to the day prior to filing
bankruptcy.  I'm thinking criminal charges should be applied for wire fraud.

I guess I need to petition the court to get anything on my card at all.

And you'd think AMEX gift cards were fine, but NOT.  They have some very serious
and troubling issues with them, and the customer service people were probably
hired from AOL.

FYI: Simon Malls are the WORST cards.  Tell your friends and family to not fall
for that "mall gift card".
https://www.simon.com/giftcard/terms_and_conditions.aspx?giftaccount=1
<https://www.simon.com/giftcard/terms_and_conditions.aspx?giftaccount=1>

Cheers,
Robert~

P.S.: I agree that it would be nice to have a Microcenter open earlier and later.  But alas, we have only a Bust Buy in Warner Robins, as well as a couple of well-known office superstores.  (Hey, at least I got BB to honor its
own website price last week on that 1TB drive.  I'd never had gone to BB, but it was an emergency.)