[ale] [Job] Contracting Development Of Website Within A CMS (Drupal / Joomla)

Andrew Grieser agrieser at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 09:18:53 EST 2008

> First the question will be, is this an ongoing event or a one time
> shot?  If it's only a one time shot, you probably want the simplest
> solution  possible.  If this is a one off, you don't want a custom
> solution.  Most likely you'd want one of the Content Management Systems
> (CMS) like you described.    One of the most interesting I've run across
> is the Lanius CMS(http://www.laniuscms.org/).  It used to be called
> Drake but got in some sort of trouble for the name.

For me, it's a one time thing. However, some of the funding comes from an organization that does this conference bi-annually. This kind of ties into the copyright question, because it seems reasonable (to me anyway) to give the website to the organization so that they could build off of it next time, if they wanted to.

> I'm leaning towards you doing the development here, if you have the
> time.  Another consideration is how long do you have to get the project
> done?

I have about 6 months to get the website up, so there is quite a bit of time. I would actually have an interest in doing it, however I think some aspects of the project are beyond my ability to implement. Also, I don't think I can make a financial justification for taking time away from other projects to learn web design.

> People will hate me for this 'cause it will be against our (those of us
> that make our living doing it) interests.  Elance seems to be a place
> where you can most easily get work done by offshore people and
> companies.  I have been on both sides of the equation here.  Both trying
> to find offshore help and trying to compete with offshore help.  It's a
> bit of a roll of the dice going offshore.  Sometimes you really get a
> deal and other times the work isn't quite up to snuff.  A lot of the
> current requests for work are only paying $15 an hour.   I can't say
> what those folks might expect for that.

I'm interested in keeping this within the US, even if it costs a little more.

> You can probably get some of the folks on this list to bid on the
> project, but you'll have to come up with a decent statement of work.  I
> suggest you just ask for interested parties and take it off list for
> negotiations.

With the post I was initially looking for advice (thanks for the advice btw), but I put a jobs tag on it just in case anyone on the list was interested. So, if anyone IS interested feel free to contact me and I'll provide details.

A general description of the project would be a website promoting a conference, that provides a way to register (with $$), and provides a way to handle paper submission and review. The website would have to have update-able information on speakers, topics, and schedules as well as general announcements etc. And of course the website should look nice, be easy to navigate, and display content in an attractive manner.

Andrew