[ale] Separate /opt partition

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Tue Nov 18 13:48:19 EST 2008

I always create /opt, /usr, /home and /var as separate mounts if I have
the space.  With LVM its even easier to do this than with partitions as
LVs can be adjusted more easily later.  Of course /boot should be on a
disk rather than LVM.  Most of my systems have internal hardware RAID 1
so I just create one partition to be the PV for my VG and another to be
for /boot.

During install I'll typically leave some of the space in the resulting
VG unallocated so I can use it where necessary later.

If you have a large app you can even make its LV separate and mount it
under /opt or /usr in a subdirectory mount point.