[ale] Xorg rant

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 19:19:52 EST 2008

5MB is one screenfull of pixels @24bits/pixel. So 32MB is 1 current screen
plus the next 4 in buffer. So the next screen is just a pointer change.
HOWEVER they still have to be _sent_ to the graphics controller chip.

If it's slow, it's because it's system RAM and not video RAM. Using system
ram for video forces every video bit to also go back through the RAM
controller chip and the cpu (may dodge the cpu on some board/controller chip
combos). It's the major drawback to the process. If you need speed on
graphics, get a video card that uses dedicated vram.

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Christoper Fowler <
cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:

> In my BIOS I have the video memory set to 32M for 1680x1050.
> So far all is working well.  I do have some slowness on some updates
> but that may be because the video is on board and not an AGP
> card.  Should I tell it to use more or less?

James P. Kinney III