[ale] speaking of KDE 4.1 and Ubuntu 8.10

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Sat Nov 15 17:29:56 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Robert Reese~ <ale at sixit.com> wrote:
>  In addition to the Vista partition I want to have the following set up:
>
> The requisite boot partition(s) with both Ubuntu 8.10 Kubuntu with KDE 4.1

> What size to make the boot partitions, and can I get away with just one and
> simply choose which desktop environment I want to run?

I think you mean root partition (/)  not boot partition (/boot). I would
hope that gnome and kde can happily exist on the same installation. For
both, I'd give it about 8GB of space. If you plan to store your home
directory and real data on that same partition it may need to be much
larger.

What I would do in your situation is probably

1) Windows, however big it needs to be
2) Swap, 4GB
3) Linux /, 8GB
4) Linux /home, the entire rest of the disk

With an ext3 drivers for Windows [0], you could use that last partition
to store your home directories and all your documents and data for both
linux and windows.

[0] http://www.fs-driver.org/

-Brian