[ale] speaking of KDE 4.1 and Ubuntu 8.10

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 14:14:56 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Robert Reese~ <ale at sixit.com> wrote:

> Okay, kinda dumb questions:
>
> I just got a 1TB drive to replace a bad 200GB system drive in an AMD 64
> cheapo Compaq Walmart Vista computer (god I ***HATE*** Vista!!).  I cloned
> over from the old drive, leaving me with nearly 800GB of available space.
>  In addition to the Vista partition I want to have the following set up:
>
> The requisite boot partition(s) with both Ubuntu 8.10 Kubuntu with KDE 4.1
> A separate shared Linux data partition - 250GB
> The requisite swap partition
> And the remainder space as shared NTFS data space where I will keep my
> documents and desktops from Vista.
>
> I intend on maxing out the ram to 4GB and running VMWare Workstation under
> Ubuntu/Kubuntu and migrating to using VMs of MS operating systems whenever
> possible instead of booting straight to Vista.

Cool. Sounds like a good plan.

> So the stupid questions I have are:
>
> What size to make the boot partitions, and can I get away with just one and
> simply choose which desktop environment I want to run?

One boot partition is fine. 100MB is plenty. Grub will point to the vista
partition for boot so no windows bits get stored in /boot

> What size for the swap partition since I have all the space I want?

The old adage of twice the swap space as ram is no longer valid given than
ram sizes are so much larger. From much reading of kernel devels
discussions, the current mentality is twice the ram as swap up to 2GB RAM/
4GB swap. After that, more swap space will no longer be a benefit. So plan
on 4GB RAM + 4 GB swap.

If you _still_ run out of ram, try closing firefox more often :-)

> Thanks much,
> Robert~

James P. Kinney III