[ale] CDROM mounting question

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Thu Nov 13 11:28:01 EST 2008

On Thu November 13 2008, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> I use suse and have not manually mounted a cd in at least a year.

if you use KDE, I think it is a setting in control panel, peripherals..
http://docs.kde.org/development/en/kdebase-runtime/userguide/multimedia.html

Automount

With KDE 3.5 and newer, devices can be automounted, meaning one only has to
insert the removable disk. KDE will then open an automount prompt asking the
user “What do you want to do?” with the media. To configure the list of
options prompted for devices open the KDE Control Center and navigate to
Peripherals+Storage Media Here you can add and remove programs from the list
of devices.

The automount feature will only work if dbus, hal and udev are installed and
the kernel is properly configured. To find out if they are running on your
system check the Process Table in KSysguard for: hald, dbus-deamon, and
udevd. KDE does not provide any of these components. You must check with you
distribution.
--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800