[ale] Database conversion -- AKA Slipping the Microsoft mortal coil.

H P Ladds householdwords at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 21:51:00 EST 2008

2008/10/17 Brian Whigham <oobx at itmonger.com>:
> So, if I get what you're saying, you have it all properly imported (the
> comma-separated keywords are in a single column).  Just create a query,
> select the desired table, displayed columns, and use the criterion "like
> '*keyword*' in the keywords column.  Bye Bye Microsoft.

This was just the ticket, the "like" command worked. But, as it turns
out, OO Base does not use MySQL, rather it uses hsqldb.

The commands are almost identical to MySQL, but not exactly. The
process of reading the MySQL instructions and then figuring out how to
make them work in hsqldb has added a time-consuming layer of
abstraction to the relatively complex task of learning database
management.

I might as well learn how to do this thing in MySQL and skip the
distraction of hsqldb -- right? Or perhaps I should use something like
Kexi?

Alas -- I remain a MicroSerf.

Thanks.
Preston