[ale] OT move to new Colo that wants to use NAT

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Mon Nov 10 00:09:11 EST 2008

On Sun, 09 Nov 2008 19:58:34 -0500
Chris Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:

> I'm just curious as to what effect if any it will have on my SIP
> connections.  SIP and NAT do not work well.

SIP embeds the IP address into the application-layer stream.  You will
need to translate those packets or they'll go out with (obviously
unreachable) addresses.  I think that it's done that way because SIP
uses UDP, and it would seem unnecessary if it used TCP.  Beside the
point, anyway, it is what it is.

I'd agree with Jim---get public IPs one way or another.  If they won't
provide it, then it's time to move on to another carrier that will not
introduce unneeded and unnecessary complexity in the network
arrangement.  They shouldn't be making your job harder by introducing
NAT where it _really_ doesn't belong.

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.