[ale] recycle day in Cobb, quick reminder

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Mon Nov 3 19:55:23 EST 2008

Jim Kinney wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 15:39 -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>> Recycle your old electronics Saturday
>>
>> Keep Cobb Beautiful will hold its Electronics Recycling Day 9 a.m.-1
>> p.m. Saturday, Nov. 8, at Jim R. Miller Park, 2245 Callaway Road,
>> Marietta, and Piedmont Church, 570 Piedmont Road, Marietta. Items
>> accepted include computer monitors, microwave ovens, computer CPUs,
>> stereos, videocassette recorders, camcorders, cell phones and more.
>> Other items will not be accepted, including televisions, refrigerators,
>> ovens, washers and dryers. For more information, go to
>> kcb.cobbcountyga.gov/E-RecycleEvent.htm or call 770-528-1135.
>>

> What, from a recycling standpoint, is the difference between a tv and
> computer monitor?
>
> Thanks for the info!

It's a net loss to recycle CRTs (picture tube).  It costs more to
dispose of the "hazardous waste" than is recovered by recycling.  I'm
guessing that there are fewer video terminals around to be recycled than
old TVs so they are limiting their loss.  It's probably a compromise.
The recycler wanted to not accept any CRTs and Cobb county wanted them
to take them all, and they compromised.

Makes a good story anyway,.  ;)

Jim.