[ale] Wireless Broadband

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Mon Nov 3 19:47:40 EST 2008

Andrew Grieser wrote:
> Unfortunately, as I dig farther into this, it looks like the service
> plans aren't quite what I was expecting. The typical TOS I've found
> is that the service can only be used for "simple" web viewing and
> email. Meaning no streaming video (youtube etc), no ssh, no irc etc.
> They are pretty explicit that your service will be terminated for any
> violation of this. Have you run into any issues with this?

I know this isn't even close to what you're looking for, but I figured
I'd pipe up anyway.  I occasionally tether my phone using bluetooth
using t-mobile's $5.99 "t-mobile web" package.  It allows pop, imap, and
smtp.  Everything else is blocked except for their http proxy.

I don't use it very heavily, but it works in a pinch and they haven't
yelled at me yet.  I imagine I am violating the TOS, but I don't think
I've actually read them :p.

Pat