[ale] spamassassin is suddenly all stupid like

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Sat Nov 1 07:50:00 EDT 2008

Tim Watts wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My spamassassin has suddenly been making lots of wrong decisions lately: the
> good stuff get marked as spam and real spam is getting a pass. I haven't
> touched the configuration. Not sure if the baysean thing is activated. How
> can I tell if it is and how can I get him smart again?

I had a similar experience recently. I finally looked in my S P A M
folder to find about 1 1/2 weeks worth of emails that had been filtered
there instead of the normal folders that they go to. 99.9% of them were
valid emails that should have been filtered to other folders, and the
emails were in my addressbook. all of the real spam there still had the
usual "***" followed by the word S P A M followed by the "***"  in the
start of the subject line

I had to go through and highlight them all and uncheck the little flame
( thunderbird s p a m icon) to make it NOT S P A M ..

once I did that all messages started flowing correctly again. I have no
clue what set it off.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800