[ale] web page creation app

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Fri May 30 22:04:07 EDT 2008

On Fri May 30 2008, Robert Reese~ wrote:
> > well, since I've know *NIX for 20+ years :)
>
> Ironically, my first training on programming was on Unix some 25 or so
> years ago.  Oh, crap...  That's more than a quarter-century!!  Thanks for
> reminding me of how old I am...

and that makes me.... what... <shudder> the same age??

> Since amscomputers have cPanel, check to see if they also have Fantastico.
>  Whether they do or not, see if they also offer Coppermine or Gallery for
> your photo management.  If they do have Fantastico then the chances are
> very high that these photo management tools are available as the standard
> "three click" install.  Put them on a subdomain and link to them from the
> main site and viola!

I just looked and they have Fantastico Deluxe:
Use Fantastico to automatically install any of the scripts listed on the left.
Installing any script will use one of your available MySQL databases.
Removing any script will free up one of your used MySQL databases.

Click on any of the items on the left to get more details.

these items include Drupal, Geeklog, Joomla, Mambo.... and a few others I've
never heard of..

>  From what you've said, you really, honestly could get your basic site up
> the way you want in about 10 minutes using the
> Wordpress/Drupal+Coppermine/Gallery.

or VI and a few brews:)

> Then bypass the learning and use the framework stuff.  You'll be done
> before the beer gets warm!

warm beer?? never happen!

> >> Oh, and no matter what you do, get started on CSS and JavaScript.
> >>  You'll find them lifesavers!
> >
> > get started?? I could probably steal someones web site that had
> > similar content, and substitute my pictures, but I thought it
> > wouldn't be TOO big a deal to just create a small web site.. or am
> > I dreaming...
>
> Not at all.  In fact, there's plenty of FREE templates and themes out there
> for the taking; HUNDREDS, possibly thousands of CSS templates and
> themes!!!!  Knowing CSS means easy customizing if you wanted when you find
> something *close* but not perfect.
>
> But even better are free CSS themes and templates for Wordpress, Drupal,
> Joomla, and all the CMS systems out there (all of which are CSS-based).
>  And when you get tired of one, just find another and drop it in.  Heck,
> you can take an afternoon and find themes/templates for every major
> holiday, season, event, and so forth to keep your little site interesting
> for your visitors.  I think there are even script available (cron jobs,
> maybe?) to make the changes for you automatically.

I'll have to check out the cpanel and stuff..

> Seriously, don't waste your time building something from scratch.  Have fun
> customizing and tricking it out if you want to spend time, otherwise
> point-and-click your way to something you find attractive yet simple and
> easy.  As for the CSS and JavaScript, you'll find them invaluable
> regardless of what route you take.

why reinvent the wheel.. I agree!!
thanks !

--